I have never made this but I saw it on a blog and it sounds AMAZING. Thought I would post it here.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2 dozen Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts, torn into little chunks. (You can also use 2 dozen glazed crullers if you want a heavier texture.)
- 3 eggs, beaten.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk.
- Vanilla flavoring to taste. About 1 tsp.
- 1/2 stick melted butter.
- Cinnamon to taste. Takes more than you think. Just add until you think it tastes right.
- Can of fruit cocktail OR milk
Combine the eggs, condensed milk, vanilla, melted butter, and cinnamon.
Pour over doughnut chunks and stir. You can also use a KitchenAid
At this point it's going to look really dry so you can either add a can of fruit cocktail (it really cuts the sweetness) or,add milk while stirring until you have a lumpy cake batter consistency.
You don't need milk if you add the fruit cocktail--it's the perfect amount of liquid.
Now you can add 1 cup of chopped pecans if you'd like. Or not. Depends on your preference. It's great both ways. The pecans again cut down on the sweetness.
Now you can add 1 tsp of nutmeg if you want to.
Pour this into a 13 x 9 glass pan and cook for 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if it's done. If not, give it a couple more minutes.
Take it out and let it cool. You can eat it this way or you can add a glaze.
Two different types of glazes.
SIMPLE SUGAR GLAZE
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk or water
Mix together and beat until it becomes smooth and pourable. Pour over bread pudding. You can make more if you need to.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add the vanilla. Pour over pudding.