6 garlic cloves, minced
2 T minced or grated fresh ginger
1 T vegetable oil
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk
2 stalks lemon grass, bottom 5 inches only
2 carrots, peeled and sliced, 1/4 inch think
3 T fish sauce
10 cilantro stems, tied together with twine
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
Salt and pepper
8 oz white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
3 T fresh lime juice from 2 limes
1 T sugar
2 tsp Thai red curry paste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 fresh Thai, serrano or jalapeno chiles, stemmed seeded and sliced thin
2 scallions sliced thin
Lime wedges, for serving
**This is a crock pot recipe. However, my friend Jamie recommended stove top, which is what I did. I just adapted the following recipe.
1. Microwave onions, garlic, ginger and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
2. Stir broth, 1 can coconut milk, lemon grass, carrots, 1 T fish sauce, and cilantro stems into slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
3. Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-sized pieces. Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard lemon grass and cilantro stems.
4. Stir in mushrooms, cover and cook on high until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 15 minutes. Microwave remaining can coconut milk in bowl until hot, about 3 minutes, then whisk in remaining 2 T fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and curry paste to dissolve.
5. Stir hot coconut milk mixture and shredded chicken into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with garnishes.