Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Turkey, Artichoke and Pesto Panini on Focaccio Bread



I got this recipe from the Kneaders Bakery Menu in Provo, never eaten there, but this still sounded good, so I decided to try it. I called Rachel to get her focaccio bread recipe, so I will post that also. Great recipe Rachel and you can do so many things with it, kids loved it too.

Turkey, Artichoke and Pesto Panini

Cut bread in half lengthwise and spread both top and bottom with pesto. Then on bottom layer;
  • sliced turkey
  • spinach
  • marinated artichoke hearts
  • tomato slices
  • red onion slices
  • mozzarella cheese (I used a little cheddar as well)
  • salt and pepper

Place in panini maker until cheese is ooey gooey and dripping out the side. So yummy!!!

Variation: I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would also be really yummy to add thin granny smith apple slices as a layer.


Focaccio Bread
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tbs. yeast
1 tsp. water
Combine and allow to proof, about 5 minutes
Then add:
2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Start with only 2 cups of flour and then add the remaining if necessary to get a light, airy and soft dough.

Mix in mixer for 5-10 minutes allowing it to knead. Cover with a towel and let it double in size, about an hour. Punch it down and shape into a large ball. Spread into a pan, either in a circle about 12" in diameter or an oblong shape about a 1/2 inch thick. (Since I was making this into panini, I made to small rectangle shapes about 5x9 inches give or take. Don't roll it, as you want the air bubbles and you want it to stay light and airy.

Cover with a towel and let raise about an hour, with your fingertips, gently tap small indents all over the dough, then brush with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. (I added some Rosemary on one of the loaves for kicks and giggles)

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. (I undercooked mine just a wee bit since I was using them for panini and would be cooking them again, so you might want to let them get a little more golden brown than the picture shows.

1 comment:

Jacque said...

Can I be you? That is all. This looks so good. I wish I had the cooking gene.