Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fruit and Spinach Salad

This has become my FAVORITE salad. I really love it. I try to have everything on hand so I can make it anytime. I don't use spinach (Matt can't eat it) so I used red and green baby romaine instead. Give it a try. So good!
1 head red leaf lettuce
1 bunch spinach
2 Johnny smith apples
2 cans mandarin oranges
1/4 red onion slices {I leave these out}
1/2 c sugared almonds (see recipe below)
feta cheese to taste
poppy seed dressing {I either make my own - Alicia's recipe - or use Brianna brand}

Sugared almonds
    1 C chopped raw almonds
    3 T sugar

    1. For the salad, just chop all the ingredients and toss together.
    2. For the Sugared Almonds, place the nuts in a small skillet and sprinkle with sugar. As the sugar melts, stir the contents of the pan and let the sugar turn brown, being careful to not let it burn. When the sugar has reached the color of a paper sack place the nuts on a cookie sheet to cool. That's it!

    No comments: